Avalon Housing's mission is to work to end homelessness by developing affordable housing based on "community, care, and support." At Avalon's heart is their focus on housing justice: the belief that the roots of homelessness lie not simply in the real estate market (bearing in mind that Washtenaw County is one of the most expensive housing markets in Michigan and that people of color are disproportionately affected by housing crises) but in structural racism, and generational poverty and trauma. Avalon's model centers the development of high-quality, permanently affordable housing across Washtenaw County, offering care and support to individuals and families experiencing homelessness and behavioral and physical challenges.
Spun is honored to be collecting goods for Avalon Housing this winter season, including handmade outerwear, socks, and toys to be added to Avalon's birthday selection (from which caregivers can choose presents for their children). Outerwear and socks may be knitted, crocheted, or woven; toys may be knitted, crocheted, or sewn.
Please read on for details, and remember that you can learn more about Avalon's work, and donate directly, here. If you have questions, please drop Carol a line at email@example.com.
How can you work with Spun to get involved?
- Make something to be donated to Avalon Housing for distribution. As usual, Spun will have some yarn to give away to knitters and crocheters, but please bear in mind that our supply of free yarn is limited, and consider using your stash if that option is available to you (see below for guidelines). We're asking crafters who take home Spun yarn to limit themselves to one project at a time.
- If you are able to work from your stash, you may use yarn of any weight or material, bearing in mind that what you're making will be distributed to tenants at Avalon's annual holiday party or be chosen as a birthday present for a child.
- Join us at any of our scheduled drop-in times to work on your piece, if you'd like to work in company. See below for some straightforward pattern suggestions if you'd like a little guidance.
- Turn in your finished piece to Spun by December 1, and we'll pass it along. (We will accept goods on an ongoing basis, but we'd love to organize a good contribution for Avalon's holiday party later in December.)
Basic pattern suggestions:
- The World's Simplest Mittens (all gauges)
- Sidewinder Mittens (DK)
- Mrs. Murdock's Mittens (Worsted)
- Wanderlust Mittens (Aran/chunky)
- Cozy Mittens (Bulky)
- Classic Ribbed Hat (DK)
- Barley or Mutze (hard copy available from Spun) (Worsted)
- Snow Day or Chunky Hat (hard copy available from Spun) (Bulky)
- Super Bulky Hats (Super Bulky)
- Easy Hat (DK)
- Easy Every Day Beanie (Worsted)
- 1 Hour Beanie (Bulky)
- 1.5 Hour Chunky Beanie (Super Bulky)
Scarves (knit and crochet):
- Knit: Garter stitch or stockinette with a border (2 skeins DK, Worsted, Aran; 2-3 skeins Bulky, Super Bulky)
- Crochet: Single or double crochet (2 skeins DK, Worsted, Aran; 2-3 skeins Bulky, Super Bulky)
- Basic Socks (hard copy available from Spun)